Thursday, September 30, 2010

Being the New Guy

There is always a little trepidation to starting a new job, going somewhere new you really have no idea about. It's worse when you know what to do but your the new guy and everyone has to assume you know nothing.

I recently started a new job, I'm not going to mention what it is and I'm not going to divulge into details of what I do. But I've done it all before and no doubt I'll do it all again.

The annoying part is as the 'new guy' you get treated like your a little dumb. No one takes the time to ask the specifics of what you have done before or to find out if you are capable of doing the job. Now in their own right, this is a great way of avoiding having someone try and do their 'own' thing. But I just feel so helpless and useless to be honest. So I get told what to do and asked to go and help someone rather than being left to my own tasks.

It then gets to me when people start saying 'well done', or act surprised when the job was done, and with little effort. Being the New Guy sucks.

The problem with this new job is, there is a set way that has been passed down from person to person over time, tweaking it as they go for their own benefit. You would think from that someone would turn these secret processes into words on a bit of paper so all I would have to do is follow a list of things to do. Nope, easier for someone else to talk down to me.

But like any New Guy job, there comes a time when you become the secret process holder of information and can pass on your wisdom to the next New Guy.

But really people, it's hard enough being the new guy let alone having to be treated and talked to like I just came out of a womb.

Keep on keeping on...

No comments:

Post a Comment