Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Game Of Dating

This week as part of a project I set up myself an online dating profile. Not to actually get a date but just to see what hits I would get, if at all.

The whole idea comes from something I saw on breakfast television, where a lady in her late 30s was told she basically had no chance at getting a guy as no one her age was interested in an old lady (story here). HARSH! While she was no MILF, she isn't too bad and I'm sure someone would give her a go.

Now what I want to do is point out how much online dating is SO HARD. I spend over an hour setting up my profile. Not only did it ask what my name was it was asking everything you can think of. Are you an angry person, have you ever hit someone, what would your friends say you are like, do you like sex? Ummmmm I'd like to meet someone who isn't. It asked every possible question to find some compatibility with someone else. What they didn't ask was what coloured underwear I wore on Tuesday (I didn't...)

While this took forever to create for what will be a small and short project, it started to bring back some memories of the past. This year was the first year in a long time that I got back on the dating wagon. But the wheels fell off that wagon, and I'm still struggling to get them back on. May have something to do with the fact that I'm not a mechanic.

While I'm not a huge fan of online dating, it does however interest me because of its ease. And let's be honest I'm not so big on the bar scene anymore which hinders my chances of finding someone at a club. And my friend circle is too small to get hooked up with a friend of a friend. So I thought I'd ask around and see how many other people have had luck with online dating.

One.

Yep one person who found love online is still in that relationship. So while it may be easier to find someone, it's just as hard to make them hang around. However, they seem smitten and as happy as can be.

But the odds aren't in my favour to endeavour into the online dating world head frist. I'm sure there is a joke there. So I'm going to stick to the old fashioned way and try and meet someone face to face. Not that it's any easier.

However meeting someone face to face the first time has clearly added the to longevity of relationships with my research. Sure I posted it on Facebook and got two replies. Not the point. My studies have shown that the worlds population is in favour of meeting people normally face to face for long term relationships.

But I'll have to keep you posted on that one. Don't hold your breath though.

No comments:

Post a Comment